BE EFFICIENT WITH YOUR DRIBBLE
"This is basketball, not figure skating. You don't get extra points for degree of difficulty" - Bob Hurley
Here is a player's dribbling sequence on the wing...
• Dribble through the legs 3 times.
• Dribble through the legs 2 times.
• Behind-the-back step-back three-pointer.
And the shot was easily blocked by the defender (who barely even had to move)...
"What should he have done instead?"
Probably just passed to a teammate and continued the offense...
But if he had to score in a one-on-one situation.
• Squared up to the hoop.
• Read the defender.
• If they have space, shoot.
• If the defender is too close for an open shot, use a shot fake or jab step and then use 2 - 3 dribbles to create a scoring opportunity.
Definitely not dance around with the dribble.
That's not effective basketball.